Associate Professor Ryan Ko
Head of Cyber Security Lab
Qualifications: BEng(Hons) PhD Nanyang Technological University, Singapore CCSP FCSA
Associate Professor Ryan Ko is Head of Cyber Security Lab at the University of Waikato, New Zealand. He is also an Affiliate Faculty Member of the Idaho State University National Information Assurance Training and Education Center (NIATEC), USA.
Assoc Prof Ko is part of the 8-member NZ Cyber Security Skills Taskforce reporting to the NZ Minister for Communications, and a Technical Advisor serving the Ministry of Justice in cases related to the Harmful Digital Communications Act (2015). Assoc Prof Ko also serves as an expert to the INTERPOL Global Complex for Innovation, and on the assessment panels for the MBIE Endeavour Fund and NZQA.
His main research goal is "returning control of data to users", and his research interests cover Cyber Security, Cloud Data Provenance (Data Tracking), Applied Cryptography (Homomorphic Encryption), Data Visualization, and Cloud Computing Security.
A Fellow of the Cloud Security Alliance (CSA), he established and leads the Cyber Security Researchers of Waikato (CROW) – NZ's first cyber security lab and graduate research programme , established the New Zealand Institute for Security and Crime Science - Te Puna Haumaru as its founding director from March 2017 to August 2018, and serves as the Principal Investigator/Science Leader of the NZ$12.23 million MBIE-funded STRATUS project and Editor of international standard ISO/IEC 21878. He also co-created the (ISC)2 Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP) certification – the top cloud security professional certification in the world.
Together with his team at CROW, he established the New Zealand Cyber Security Challenge since 2014. To date, the competition is a nation-wide competition (400+ in 2018 and 2017; 267 participants in 2016) with 3 rounds (Round 0 (Online Qualifying), Round 1 (Capture-the-Flag), and Round 2(Attack-Defence)). CROW works with more than 50 international and NZ organisations, including the INTERPOL, ISO, Office of the Privacy Commissioner, NZ Police, Waikato District Health Board, InternetNZ, Gallagher, LayerX and the NZ National Cyber Policy Office.
Since its beginnings in 2012, CROW has more than 50 alumni, and has contributed to features within global open-source projects such as OpenStack, and the THC IPv6 Toolkit. The lab has also submitted several responsible disclosures for discovered vulnerabilities to several multi-national and NZ IT vendors.
Prior to joining the faculty in 2012, he had 10 years experience in technology, including 2 startups and most recently as a lead computer scientist with Hewlett-Packard (HP) Labs' Cloud and Security Lab. He is Associate Editor for 6 academic journals, and active as co-chair and technology board member of several industry companies (e.g. LIC), cyber security industry consortia and chapters, including the ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 27 committee.
A Singaporean, he holds 3 awarded PCT/International patents in cyber security, a B.Eng (Hons.) (Computer Engineering) and Ph.D. from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. Ryan is also a life member of ACM, and member of IEEE and RSNZ.
International Research Awards
* 2018, Enterprise Singapore Young Professionals Award, Singapore government
* 2017, Best Paper Award, International Conference on Cloud Computing Research and Innovation (ICCCRI 2017), Singapore
* 2016, Fellow, Cloud Security Alliance (USA)
* 2015, Best Paper Award, International Conference on Cloud Computing Research and Innovation (ICCCRI 2015), Singapore
* 2015, Cloud Security Alliance Asia Pacific Region Cloud Security Ninja Award, CSA. Guangzhou, China
* 2015, (ISC)2 Information Security Leadership Award (ISLA), International Information Systems Security Certification Consortium (ISC)2, Manila, the Philippines
* 2015, IEEE TrustCom Outstanding Leadership Award, IEEE (Awarded in Helsinki, Finland)
* 2013, Outstanding Leadership Award, IEEE TrustCom 2013, Melbourne, Australia
* 2012, Cloud Security Alliance (CSA) Ron Knode Service Award
* 2012, Outstanding Service Award, IEEE TrustCom 2012
* 2012, Honourable Mention, Hewlett-Packard Tech Con 2012
* 2011, Featured Researcher, HP Labs Annual Report 2011
* 2011, Best Paper Award, USEWOD 2011, in conj. with WWW 2011
* 2009, 1st Prize, 4th IEEE Service Cup, in conj. with IEEE ICWS 2009
* 2009, Best Student Award, Singapore A*STAR SIMTech
* 2015, Faculty Teaching Excellence Award, University of Waikato
* 2014, The University of Waikato Early Career Excellence Award, University of Waikato
* 2014, Faculty Teaching Excellence Award, University of Waikato
* 2014, Nola Campbell Memorial eLearning Excellence Award, University of Waikato
Research Publication Impact
A summary of his research publication citations and impact can be found on Google Scholar.
Past Teaching (Waikato University)
Graduate Level (Honours/ Postgrad Dip/ Masters) Subjects
- COMP518 (2015) - Cyber Security
- COMP527 (2015) - Cloud Computing Technologies and Security
- COMP513 (2015) - Topics in Computer Networks
- COMP518 (2014) - Cyber Security
- COMP527 (2014) - Cloud Computing Technologies and Security (I started this subject)
- COMP513 (2014) - Topics in Computer Networks
- COMP514 (2013) - Carrier and ISP Networks
- COMP518 (2013) - Cyber Security
Undergraduate/ Sophomore Subjects
- COMP333 (2014) - Web Application Development
- COMP333 (2013) - Web Application Development
- Cloud Computing Security and Trust (Cloud Data Provenance, Data Tracking)
- Practical Homomorphic Encryption
- Cyber Security (Internet of Things, Mobile Devices, Autonomous Vehicles)
- Linked Data Analysis
- Artificial Intelligence Planning
- Exploratory Visualisation Techniques
- Business Process Modeling
- Service-Oriented Computing.
External Research Grants
- Co-PI, NZ Law Foundation - Identifying Encryption Principles for New Zealand (ENCRYPT NZ), Michael Dizon (PI), Ryan Ko, Wayne Rumbles, Amount: NZD 59,000 (from September 2017).
- Science Leader/ Principal Investigator, NZ Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment Science Funding (MBIE) (Enabling Technologies – High Value Manufacturing and Services) – STRATUS (Security Technologies Returning Accountability, Trust and User-centric Services in the Cloud, NZD12.23 million (incl. GST) over 6 years (from October 2014)
- Co-PI, Seeding and Scoping New Research Excellence 2016-2018, Ngā Pae o te Māramatanga (NPM) Kia Ārohi Kia Mārama; Scoping Excellence research proposal, Tahu Kukutai (PI), Maui Hudson,Ryan Ko, Wayne Rumbles, Amount: NZD59,985 (excl. GST)
- Co-PI, Office of the Privacy Commissioner – Privacy Good Research Fund 2015/2016, "Parent-Centric Privacy Framework for a Safe Cyber Environment for Children", Sivadon Chaisiri, Ryan Ko, Amount: NZD 21,799
- Co-PI, InternetNZ Internet Research Funding 2015, "Survey of New Zealanders' Mobile Internet Security Awareness" Sivadon Chaisiri, Ryan Ko, Amount: NZD 9,000
- Associate Investigator, Education New Zealand, International Education Growth Fund, “Promoting a New Master of Cyber Security Degree and Establishing Long-term Partnerships in South East Asia”, NZD66,000 for project, support from ENZ NZD33,000.
- Primary Investigator, Amazon Web Services Education Grant 2014
- Primary Investigator, Fulbright Specialist Award 2014
Journal Editorial Boards
- 2015-2016, Assoc. Editor, Computers & Electrical Engineering (Elsevier)
- 2014-, Area Editor, Australasian Journal of Information Systems (EBSCO)
- 2014-, Area Editor (Cyber Security and Big Data), Proceedings of Open Library of Engineering Sciences (Open Access Journal)
- 2013-, Assoc. Editor, Intl J. of Semantic & Infrastructural Services (InderScience)
- 2013-, Assoc. Editor, Int’l J. of Applied Pattern Recognition (Inderscience).
- 2011-, Assoc. Editor, Security & Communication Networks Journal (Wiley)
- 2011-, Assoc. Editor, Intl. Journal of Cloud Applications & Computing
- 2009-2011, Editor, ACM Crossroads (XRDS)
- 2009, Assoc. Editor (Asia Pacific), ACM Crossroads (XRDS)
Guest Editor in SCI-Indexed Journal Special Issues
- 2014, Guest Editor, Special Issue on Advances in Trust, Security and Privacy for Wireless Communication Networks, Wireless Personal Communications (Springer)
- 2011-2013, Guest Editor, SI on Trust & Security in Cloud Computing, Security & Communication Networks Journal (Wiley)
- 2013-, Guest Editor, SI on Advances in Trust, Security & Privacy for Wireless Communication Networks, Wireless Personal Communications (Springer)
- 2013-, Guest Editor, SI on Trends, Applications and Security in Computing & Communications, Int’l Journal of Computers & Electrical Engineering (Elsevier)
- 2013 – Editorial Advisory Board, Big Data Management, Technologies & Applications, Edited Book, IGI Global
ISO International Standards Editing
- 2016-, Editor, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 27 WG 4 NWIP on “Security Guidelines on Design and Implementation of Virtualized Servers”
- 2016-, Member, Standards Australia and Standards New Zealand IT-012 Committee, Mirror committee for ISO SC 27
- 2015-2016, Rapporteur, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 27 WG 4 “Study Period on Security Guidelines on Design and Implementation of Virtualized Servers”
- 2015, Rapporteur, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 27 WG 4 “Study Period on Virtualization Security”
- 2015-, Member, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 27 Committee
- 2015-, Member, Security and Privacy Standards Technical Committee, Standards Productivity and Innovation Board (SPRING Singapore) Information Technology Standards Committee
Industry Advisory Boards/ Panels
- 2016-, LIC (Livestock Improvement) Technology Advisory Board Member, Ruakura, NZ
- 2016, Panel Member, MCDA Workshop for proposed New Zealand Computer Emergency Response Team (NZ CERT), National Cyber Policy Office, Beehive, Wellington.
- 2016, National Body Representative, Security & Privacy Stds. Technical Comm. (SPSTC), Singapore, for International Organization for Standardization (ISO) SC27.
- 2016, Assessor, Assessment Panel for MBIE Science Investment (Smart Ideas) Proposals
- 2015, Advisor, NYRIAD Ltd
- 2014-, Chair, Science Leadership Team, STRATUS
- 2014-2015, Chair, Industry Advisory Group, STRATUS
- 2015, Assessor, Assessment Panel for MBIE Science Investment (Smart Ideas) Proposals
- 2015, Judge, Information Security Awards New Zealand (ISANZ 2015)
- 2015, Rapporteur, Virtualization Security Study Period, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC27 WG4
- 2015, Committee Member, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC27 Standardisation Sub-Committee
- 2015, Assessment Panel Member, MBIE Smart Ideas Phase 1 Concept Proposals.
- 2015, Invited Participant (representing Australasia), Global Conference on CyberSpace (GCCS 2015), The Hague, the Netherlands.
- 2015, National Body Representative, Security & Privacy Stds. Technical Comm. (SPSTC), Singapore, for International Organization for Standardization (ISO) SC27.
- 2014, Subject Matter Expert, Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP) Standard Setting Workshop, (ISC)2, Orlando, Florida.
- 2014, Panel Member, Cyber Security Strategy Workshop, National Cyber Policy Office, The Treasury, Wellington.
- 2014, Panel Member, Cybercrime Workshop, National Cyber Policy Office, Pipitea House, Wellington.
- 2014, Subject Matter Expert, Test Pull Workshop, Exam Development for new (ISC)2-CSA Certification for Cloud Security Professionals, Atlanta, Georgia.
- 2014, Subject Matter Expert, Item Writing Workshop, Exam Development for new (ISC)2-CSA Certification for Cloud Security Professionals, Clearwater, Florida.
- 2013, Subject Matter Expert, Item Writing Workshop, Exam Development for new (ISC)2-CSA Certification for Cloud Security Professionals, San Francisco, CA.
- 2013-, Research Advisor, Cloud Security Alliance (Asia Pacific Region)
- 2013-, Co-Founder/ Chair, CSA Cloud Vulnerabilities Working Group.
- 2013, Subject Matter Expert, Job Task Analysis Workshop/ Exam Development for new (ISC)2-CSA Certification for Cloud Security Professionals, Orlando, Florida.
- 2012-2013, Board of Directors, Cloud Security Alliance (CSA) New Zealand
- 2011-2013, Co-Founder/ Chair, CSA Cloud Data Governance Working Group. (1st research working group formed by an Asia Pacific chapter (i.e. Singapore chapter)
- 2011-2012, Board of Directors (Director of Research), CSA Singapore
- 2012, Industry Advisory Committee, Singapore Cloud Computing Standards Development, Infocomm Development Authority (IDA) of Singapore.
- 2011, Judging Panel, Finals, UK National Cyber Security Challenge 2011.
Conference/Symposium/Workshop Chairing (Recent)
- 2016, Programme Chair, 6th IEEE Int’l Symposium on Trust & Security in Cloud Computing (TSCloud), Tianjin, China.
- 2016, Programme Co-Chair, 16th International Conference on Algorithms and Architectures for Parallel Processing (ICA3PP 2016), Granada, Spain.
- 2016, Programme Co-Chair - Security Track, 14th International Conference on Privacy Security and Trust, Auckland, NZ.
- 2015, Programme Chair, 5th IEEE Int’l Symposium on Trust & Security in Cloud Computing (TSCloud), Helsinki, Finland.
- 2015, Programme Chair, 3rd CSA Asia Pacific Congress, Guangzhou, China.
- 2015, Workshop Co-Chair, The 15th International Conference on Algorithms and Architectures for Parallel Processing (ICA3PP 2015), Zhangjiajie, China.
- 2014,Publicity Chair,7th ACM/IEEE Utility & Cloud Computing Conference (UCC), UK
- 2014, Chair, 4th IEEE Int’l Symposium on Trust & Security in Cloud Computing (IEEE TSCloud 2014), Beijing, China.
- 2014, Programme Co-Chair, 2nd Int’ Conf. on Security in Computer Networks and Distributed Systems (SNDS-2014), Trivandrum, India.
- 2013, Programme Co-Chair, 2nd Cloud Security Alliance Asia Pacific Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) Forum 2013, Macau.
- 2013, PC Chair, 1st Cloud Security Alliance APAC Congress 2013, Singapore.
- 2013, Chair, 3rd IEEE Int’l Symposium on Trust & Security in Cloud Computing (IEEE TSCloud 2013), Melbourne, Australia.
- 2013, Workshop Chair, 15th IEEE Int’l Conference on High Performance Computing & Communications (IEEE HPCC 2013), Zhangjiajie, China.
- 2013, Workshop & Special Sessions Chair, 2nd Int’l Conference on Advances in Computing, Communications & Informatics (ICACCI 2013), Mysore, India.
- 2012, PC Chair, 2nd IEEE Int’l Symposium on Trust & Security in Cloud Computing, (IEEE TSCloud 2012), Liverpool, UK.
- 2012, PC Chair, 4th IEEE Int’l Symposium on UbiSafe Computing (UbiSafe), Liverpool.
- 2011, Co-Founder/ Co-Chair, 1st IEEE Int’l Workshop on Trust & Security in Cloud Computing, (IEEE TSCloud 2011), Changsha, China.
Technical Programme Committee Member (Recent)
- 2017, 13th Annual IEEE Consumer Communications & Networking Conference (CCNC), 9-12 January 2016, Las Vegas, USA (In conjunction with the Consumer Electronic Show 2016) (CORE Rank A)
- 2016, ACSW 2017 (The Australiasian Computer Science Week
Conference) Austalasian Information Security Conference, Geelong, Australia
- 2016, 2nd International Symposium on Dependability in Sensor, Cloud, and Big Data Systems and Applications (DependSys2016)
- 2016, 1st International Workshop on Trust, Security and Privacy for Big Data (BigTrust 2016), December 14-16, 2016, Granada, Spain
- 2016, 9th International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing, Shanghai, China.
- 2016, 9th International Conference on Security, Privacy and Anonymity in Computation, Communication and Storage (SpaCCS 2016), Zhangjiajie, China
- 2015, 8th IEEE International Conference on Internet of Things (iThings 2015), Sydney, Australia.
- 2015, 5th International Symposium on Cloud Computing, Trusted Computing and Secure Virtual Infrastructures (C&TC 2015), Rhodes, Greece
- 2015, The 6th International Workshop on Trust, Security and Privacy for Big Data (TrustData 2015), Zhangjiajie, China.
- 2015, 14th IEEE Int’l Conf. on Trust, Security & Privacy in Computing & Communications (IEEE TrustCom 2015), Helsinki, Finland. (CORE Rank A)
- 2015, 13th International Conference on Service Oriented Computing (ICSOC 2015), Goa, India.
- 2015, 10th International Conference on Evaluation of Novel Software Approaches to Software Engineering (ENASE 2015), Barcelona, Spain.
- 2014, 7th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing (UCC), London, UK. (CORE Rank A)
- 2014, Applications and Technologies in Cyber Security (ATCS) Workshop, Beijing, China.
- 2014, 12th International Conference on Service Oriented Computing, Paris, France. (CORE Rank A)
- 2014, 5th International Workshop on Wireless Networks and Multimedia (WNM-2014), Dalian, China.
- 2014, 4th Cloud and Trusted Computing 2014, International Conference on Secure Virtual Infrastructures (ex-DOA), Amantea, Italy.
- 2014, International Workshop on Trust in Cloud computing (IWTCC), London, UK.
- 2014, 2nd International Conference on Security in Computer Networks and Distributed Systems, Trivandrum, Kerala, India.
- 2014, 13th IEEE Int’l Conf. on Trust, Security & Privacy in Computing & Communications (IEEE TrustCom 2014), Beijing, China. (CORE Rank A)
- 2014, 9th IEEE Int’l Contest on Cloud Computing (CLOUD Cup), Alaska, USA.
- 2014, 5th International Workshop on Wireless Networks and Multimedia (WNM-2014), Dalian, China.
- 2014, TrustData Workshop 2014, Dalian, China.
- 2013, 8th IEEE Int’l Contest on Cloud Computing (CLOUD Cup), Santa Clara, CA.
- 2013 IEEE Int’l Conf. on Internet of Things (IEEE iThings 2013), Beijing, China.
- 2013, IEEE ICPADS Workshop on Cloud Services & Systems (CSS 2013), Seoul.
- 2013, 2nd Asian Conf. on Information Systems (ACIS 2013). Phuket, Thailand.
- 2013, DOA-Trusted Cloud 2013, 3rd Int’l Symp. on Secure Virtual Infrastructures, OnTheMove Federated Conferences & Workshops 2013,Graz, Austria.
- 2013, 8th IEEE International Contest on Cloud Computing (CLOUD Cup 2013) (CORE Rank A)
- 2013, 12th IEEE Int’l Conf. on Trust, Security & Privacy in Computing & Communications (IEEE TrustCom 2013), Melbourne, Australia. (CORE Rank A)
- 2013, 4th Int’l Workshop on Wireless Networks & Multimedia (WNM 2013), in conj. with 11th IEEE ISPA, Melbourne, Australia.
- 2013, 4th Int’l Conf. on Cloud Computing, GRIDs & Virtualization, Valencia, Spain.
- 2013, 9th Asia Pacific Conf. on Conceptual Modeling (APCCM 2013), Adelaide.
- 2012, 10th Int’l Conf. on Services Oriented Computing (ICSOC 2012), Shanghai.
- 2012, 7th IEEE Service Cup, in conj. with IEEE ICWS 2012, Hawaii, USA. (CORE Rank A)
- 2012, 18th IEEE Int’l Conf. on Parallel & Distributed Systems (ICPADS-12),Singapore.
- 2012, 11th IEEE Int’l Conf. on Trust, Security & Privacy in Computing & Communications (IEEE TrustCom-12), Liverpool, UK. (CORE Rank A)
- 2012, 3rd IEEE Int’l Workshop on Wireless Networks & Multimedia, Liverpool.
- 2012, 8th Asia Pacific Conf. on Conceptual Modeling (APCCM 2012), Melbourne.
- IEEE Computer
- IEEE Trans. on Cloud Computing
- IEEE Trans. on Computers
- Computer Networks (Elsevier)
- Future Generation Computing Systems (Elsevier)
- IEEE Trans. Parallel and Distributed Systems
- IEEE Trans. on Knowledge & Data Engineering
- IEEE Spectrum, Information Systems (Elsevier)
- Journal of Cloud Computing (Inderscience)
- Security & Communication Networks (Wiley)
- IEEE Trans. on Services Computing
- Australasian Journal of Information Systems
- Business Process Management Journal (Emerald)
- ACM XRDS (ACM Crossroads)
Keynote Addresses/ Invited Speaker (Recent)
- Invited Speaker, "Closing the Gap: Protecting Business Capabilities Against Security Threats", NZ Cloud Computing and Hybrid IT Forum, 6 September 2016, Rendezvous Hotel, Auckland, NZ.
- Keynote Speaker (addressing NZ Members of Parliament), “Returning Data Control to Users – The Next Frontier For Cloud Security Research”, Royal Society of New Zealand Speakers Science Forum, 2 March 2016, the Beehive (NZ Parliament Building), Wellington, NZ.
- Keynote Speaker, “User-controlled Cloud Security Solutions: The Next Frontier in Cyber Security”, International Conference on Cloud Computing Research and Innovation (ICCCRI 2016), 4-5 May 2016, Singapore
- Invited Speaker, “Securing the cloud by empowering its users - Introducing the NZ STRATUS Research Project”, NZ Cloud Computing Conference, September 2015, Auckland, NZ.
- Invited Speaker, “The Holy Grails of Returning Control of Data to Cloud Users”, Data Privacy Asia, 25-27 August 2015, Singapore.
- Invited Panellist, “Privacy versus Protection: Using Private Data for Public Good – Maintaining the Balance”, Data Privacy Asia, 25-27 August 2015, Singapore.
- Invited Panellist, “Cloud Data Privacy and Data Sovereignty”, Data Privacy Asia, 25-27 August 2015, Singapore.
- Session Chair, “Data control in cloud environments”, NetHui 2015, July 2015, Auckland, NZ.
- Invited Panellist, “Cloud Security Research”, CSA ASEAN Summit, 11-12 June 2015, Bangkok, Thailand
- Invited Panellist, “Smart Social”, CSA ASEAN Summit, 11-12 June 2015, Bangkok, Thailand
- Invited Speaker, “An Overview of New Zealand and University of Waikato Cyber Security Strategies and Research”, 28 April 2015, CSA APAC Education Council Seminar, Singapore.
- Invited Panellist, “Will the Cloud ever be secure”, Industry Panel, IEEE 6th International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science, 17 Dec 2014, Singapore.
- Invited Speaker, “Don’t Get Bit-ten - How Safe Are You Online?”, University of Waikato Winter Lecture Series, 13 August 2014, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand.
- Invited Speaker, “Swords against Atomic Bombs - Fundamental Gaps and Opportunities in Cyber Security Research and Development”, Institute of IT Professionals (IITP) New Zealand Public Lecture, 17 June 2014, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand.
- Invited Speaker, “Cloud Security Research in Motion”, ASEAN CSA & OWASP Summit, Bangkok, 3-4 June 2014, Bangkok.
Soli Deo gloria
Cumulative Career Research Supervision Experience at a Glance
Masters (MSc, MCS, ME)
- Dr Harris Lin
- Dr Raja Naeem Akram (now at Royal Holloway University of London)
- Dr Sivadon Chaisiri (now at 2Degrees, NZ telco)
Completed PhD Research Students (Waikato University)
- Michael Rinck (PhD) (Passed Oral Defence 17 July 2015) - Connecting Information: Detecting and Tracing Object Evolution – with Dr. Annika Hinze (Chief Supervisor), Assoc. Prof. Steve Jones and Assoc. Prof. David Bainbridge
- Stephen Eichler (PhD – Pass Oral Defence 21 February 2017) – Implementing Internet black hole and topology analysis with large numbers of vantage points - with Dr. Richard Nelson (Chief Supervisor)
- Alan Tan (PhD - Passed Oral Defence 16 August 2017) - Reconstructing Provenance from Log Files - with Prof Geoff Holmes, Bill Rogers
Current PhD Research Students (Full Time)
- Jeff Garae (PhD Year 2) – Effective visualisation for security over mobile devices – with Prof. Mark Apperley
- Thye Way Phua (PhD Year 1) - Provenance in file metadata – with Prof. Ian Witten
- Joshua Scarsbrook (PhD Year 1) - Automated, self-healing of software vulnerabilities - with Bill Rogers
Current PhD Research Students (Part Time)
- Mark Will (PhD Year 3) – Practical Fully Homomorphic Encryption with Prof. Ian Witten (Winner of the University of Waikato Outstanding PhD Scholar Award 2014; Prime MInister's Scholarship for Asia 2016)
Completed Masters Research Students
- Siuta Laulaupea'alu (MCS Thesis) – Investigation of Cyber Security Situation in Tonga – with Dr Sivadon Chaisiri
- Craig Scoon (MCS Thesis) – Data Privacy Matrix – Aligning Asia Pacific to USA and EU Data Privacy Legislation
- Jeffrey Yeh (MCS Thesis) – Key Factors for Building a Secure Web Gateway
- Brian Ong (MCS Thesis) - Evaluation of machine learning algorithm for detecting phishing websites
- Mickey Law Tsz Fung (MCS Dissertation) – Mapping cloud data governance
- Shaun Stricot-Tarboton (MCS Thesis) – HTTPS Man-In-The-Middle Attack Counter-Measures
- Sjoerd de Feijter (MCS Dissertation) – Requirements for Secure Storage of Credentials for Smart Devices
- Patrick Yangchao Dong (MCS Dissertation) – Context-aware Security for BYOD
- Spencer Tang – Cloud Service Guard (MSc Dissertation) – A Software Defined Perimeter Framework for Securing Cloud Computing Services
- Cheng Cheng (MSc Dissertation) – Identification and Characterization of Cyber Attacks in Honeypot Data
- Saurabh Naik (MCS Thesis) – Intrusion Detection System for Vehicle CAN Bus – with Dr Sivadon Chaisiri
- Jeffrey Garae (MCS Thesis) - User-centric visualisation of data provenance
- Baden Delamore (MSc Thesis) – Web Vulnerability Analysis with Enhanced Risk Realisation
- Mohammad BaniTaha (MEng Thesis) – Tamper-Evident Provenance
Current Masters Research Students
- Iris Su
- Cameron Paddy
- Jeremy Symon
- Claire Che (MCS Dissertation)
Current Honours Research Students
- Mitchell Grout - Cryptanalysis and Deprecating SHA2 and SHA3
- Daniel St George - A Survey on Post-Quantum Cryptography
- Chris Anderson - Memory Provenance
- Mariah ATUTAHI, COMP520, Open Source Intelligence for Crime Online, Advisors: Nigel McCarter, Ryan Ko, Harris Lin (Best Presentation Award, 2017 Computer Science Honours Students Conference)
- Anthony MEEHAN, COMP520, Homomorphic Encryption for Deep Learning, Advisors: Ryan Ko (Best Project Award, 2017 Computer Science Honours Students Conference)
- Caleb MILLAR, Homomorphic Encryption for Traffic Data in Smart Cities, ENGG492, Advisors: Ryan Ko
- Daniel Roodt, Cryptanalysis of the SHA-2 Hash functions, COMP520, Advisors: Ryan Ko (Since 2017 Semester B)
Completed Honours Students
- Thye Way Ng – Practical Partially Homomorphic Encryption
- Sheena Rose Mira-ato – Software Defined Perimeter for IoT
- Jeremy Symons – Security Assessment for IoT devices
- Cameron Brown – Provenance Log Visualisation with WebGL
- Matthew Law – Quick Identification of Vulnerabilities and Attribution of Attackers in Very Large Cloud Environments
- Craig Scoon – Project RifleRange
- Cameron Rodgers – Windows Progger
- Marc Tiehuis - Partially Homomorphic Encryption Cloud Service (FCMS Honours Research Conference Best Presentation Award 2015)
- Daniel Manning - Training Cyber Security Concepts with Project RifleRange (Part 1)
- Rosjier Lammers - Training Cyber Security Concepts with Project RifleRange (Part 2)
- Josh Hollinshead - Am I being spied on my phone? (FCMS Honours Research Conference Best Presentation Award 2014)
- Rafael Shuker - Developing a de facto Benchmark Data Set for Provenance Research
- Thomas Wallace - Surveying the Realities of Data Security and Privacy Perceptions
- Mickey Law - Improving Security of Facebook Sharing
- Caine Jameson - Cloud Security for Personal Data Using a Tamper/Attack Resistant Smart Personal Device
- Julian Melchert - Security and Privacy for Skype Communication
- Mathew Andela - Mobile communication security for personal data using tamper/attack resistant smart personal device.
- Andrew Mackintosh - Disaster Resilient, Secure, and Privacy-Preserving Crowd based Mobile Network (FCMS Honours Research Conference Best Presentation Award Runner-Up 2014)
- Brandon Nicholson - Mobile Voting (M-Voting) for Democracies of the Future (FCMS Honours Research Conference Best Project Award Runner-Up 2014)
- Sjoerd de Feijter - Simulation and Study of the impact of Relay Attack on the Contactless Smart Cards
- Sam Shute - Mobile Handset based EFTPOS
- Shayne Kiekebosch – Ransomware – Process, Mitigation and Prevention
- Ben Pickett – Social Media Footprinting – Process, Mitigation and Prevention
- Ting Gao (COMP520) - Detection of Data Leakage Caused by Malware
- Grace Ng (COMP 520) – Building a Cloud Computing Testbed Environment -
- Matt Hunter (COMP 520) – Discovery of Security Vulnerabilities in Cloud Services -
- Robbie Litchfield (COMP 520) – Development of a Cyber Security Game - (Co-supervised with Bill Rogers)
- Gavin Downes (COMP 520) – Film Recommendation Algorithm - (Co-supervised by David White, IndieReign)
Completed Summer Scholars
- Claire Che – Unlocking Ransomware - Co-supervised with Dr Jonathan Oliver (Trend Micro)
- Matthew Law – Who has attacked my Cloud? Analysing Large Provenance Datasets
- Adam Fleming– Military-grade Android
- Campbell Lockley – Building a Cyber Range in OpenStack
- Ellen Laura Clarkson
- Corey Brown
- Jesse Brown
Ko, R., Rodrigues, M., Ladur, A., & Scoon, C. (2018). Towards one global privacy law. Asia Global Online. Retrieved from http://www.asiaglobalonline.hku.hk/towards-one-global-privacy-law/ Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/11993
Garae, J., Ko, R. K. L., & Apperley, M. (2018). A full-scale security visualization effectiveness measurement and presentation approach. In Proc 17th IEEE International Conference On Trust, Security And Privacy In Computing And Communications/ 12th IEEE International Conference On Big Data Science And Engineering (TrustCom/BigDataSE) (pp. 639-650). Los Alamitos, California: IEEE Computer Society. doi:10.1109/TrustCom/BigDataSE.2018.00095
Find more research publications by Ryan Ko