Dr Panos Patros
Lecturer in Software Engineering
- 2018, PhD, University of New Brunswick
- 2014, Diploma in University Teaching, University of New Brunswick
- 2014, Masters in Computer Science (NZQA Level 9), University of New Brunswick
- 2011, Diploma in Informatics and Telecommunications (NZQA Level 7), National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
Phone: +64 7 838 4651
Panos is interested in various aspects of Software Engineering but in particular, Self-Adaptation in Clouds, Language Runtimes and Embedded Systems, focusing on the Testing and Satisfaction of Nonfunctional Requirements.
Panos received his Bachelors in Informatics and Telecommunications from the University of Athens in 2010. He worked for four years as a Software Engineer, Consultant and Academic Tutor before moving to Canada and the University of New Brunswick for graduate school. He completed his Master's in Computer Science in 2014 and his PhD in 2018, both as a member of the IBM/UNB Centre of Advanced Studies - Atlantic. While in Canada, he taught CS courses (after completing a Diploma in University Teaching in 2014) and participated in industrial R&D projects. He joined the department at Waikato in 2018 as a Lecturer focusing on various aspects of Software Engineering.
For his BSc thesis, Panos constructed a converter of Conjunctive Grammars (Context-Free plus Intersection) to their respective automata and vice-versa. For his master's thesis, he enhanced the IBM J9 JVM with a tool that measured thread-park contention in the Java Util Concurrent library. For his PhD thesis, he explored numerous performance, modelling and resource allocation issues in the intersection of platform clouds and language runtimes, in a work that also resulted into two patents and four defensive anti-patent disclosures. He is also a member of the Verilog-To-Routing FPGA CAD tool open source community, where he contributes and conducts research related to improved synthesis of circuits for embedded systems.
- 2018, John DeDourek Award for Best CS Graduate Thesis
- 2018, Excellence in Teaching Award, Faculty of Computer Science, University of New Brunswick
- 2016, IBM CAS Project of the Year (Lead Student), IBM Canada
- 2014-2018, IBM PhD CAS Fellowship, IBM/UNB Centre of Advanced Studies - Atlantic
Current Funded Research Openings
- STRATUS PhD Scholarship on Guaranteeing Self-Organized Backup Systems: $25K/p.a. and tuition fees for three years.
- STRATUS PhD Scholarship on Cloud Interference Security: $24K/p.a. and tuition fees for three years.
Past Teaching (University of Waikato)
- COMP301-18B, Operating Systems
- COMP314-18B, Software Engineering Project
Past Teaching (University of New Brunswick)
- Winter 2018, CS1073, Introduction to Computer Programming (in Java)
- Fall 2017, CS1083, Introduction to Computer Programming || (in Java)
- Winter 2016, CS2333, Computability and Formal Languages
- Fall 2015, CS1073, Introduction to Computer Programming (in Java)
- Fall 2014, CS4735, Computer Graphics
- Self-Adaptive and Self-Organizing Systems
- Cloud Computing
- Language Runtimes
- Embedded Systems
Past Funded Research Openings
- 2018 Summer Research Scholarship $6K. C/C++, OS, SWE skills needed
- 2018, Program Committee, 29th International Symposium on RSP@ESWeek
- 2018-now, International Journal of Cloud Computing (Inderscience)
- 2017, Program Committee, 28th International Symposium on RSP@ESWeek
- 2017, Session Chair, 28th International Symposium on RSP@ESWeek
- 2016, Program Committee, 27th International Symposium on RSP@ESWeek
Patros, P. (2018). Modeling and improving the performance of cloud systems. (PhD Thesis, The University of New Brunswick).
Dawson, M. H., Dilli, D. D., Kent, K. B., Patros, P., & Shipton, P. D. (2018). US 2018/0113684 A1, Dynamically compiled artifact sharing on PAAS clouds.
Zhu, J., Patros, P., Kent, K. B., & Dawson, M. (2018). Node.js scalability investigation in the cloud. In A. Jaramillo, G. -V. Jourdan, D. Petriu, & W. Chen (Eds.), Proc 28th Annual International Conference on Computer Science and Software Engineering (CASCON 2018) (pp. 201-212). Markham, Ontario, Canada: ACM. doi:10.475/123_4
Patros, P., Kent, K., & Dawson, M. (2018). Mitigating garbage collection interference on containerized clouds. In Proc 12th IEEE International Conference on Self-Adaptive and Self-Organizing Systems (SASO 2018) (pp. 6 pages). Trento, Italy: IEEE.
Find more research publications by Panos Patros